Slack channel code of conduct
Code of Conduct for Grow Your Audience
MISSION: To foster the growth of every person who joins Grow Your Audience slack in a safe and welcoming online space.
Grow Your Audience and it’s community is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all Grow Your Audience spaces, including our slack channel, website comments, as well as any other spaces that Grow Your Audience hosts. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the Grow Your Audience administrators. If the complaint is against an administrator, that administrator will remove themselves from the discussion.
- Be respectful of everyone
- Be tolerant of everyone
- Be a decent human being to everyone
- Help others in their journey without pushing your own personal views
- Don’t self-promote without having a valid reason (i.e. someone asks you about what you do)
Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, and employment (or self-employment)
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect other GF members or other vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
Grow Your Audience community prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. Grow Your Audience will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’ (because these things don’t exist)
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice concepts
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behaviour or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of the Grow Your Audience community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. I will respond as promptly as we can.
This code of conduct applies to Grow Your Audience sponsored spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of the Grow Your Audience community outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by the Grow Your Audience community members, especially bloggers, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time.The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from the Grow Your Audience community based on their past behaviour, including behaviours outside Grow Your Audience spaces and behaviour towards people who are not in the Grow Your Audience community.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. We are not here to explain power differentials or other basic social justice concepts to you. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of Grow Your Audience members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behaviour are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behaviour, Grow Your Audience may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Grow Your Audience spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other Grow Your Audience members or the general public.